430

Cincinnati? Enquirer, Oct. 22, 1897

FOR WOMAN’S EYE

Mrs. Alexander Hill presided at a very delightful meeting of the Musical Department of the Woman’s Club yesterday. She announced that Mrs. George C. Weimer had consented to be Vice Chairman, and that Miss Alice Laws will be Secretary of the department for the year. Mrs. Hill read a carefully prepared paper outlining the year’s work, as follows: For October, “Rhythm;” November, “Melody;” December, “Harmony;” January, “Embellishments of Music;” February, “Sonata and Symphony;” March, “Chamber Music;” April, “Lyric and Dramatic.” All will be illustrated by musical numbers.

Miss Martha Allen read a charming paper on “Rhythm.” It was so beautifully worded that it “flowed along like a song.” She considered rhythm the spirit of music, and thought its beauty was within the power of the performer rather than in the music itself. The special illustrations were by Miss. Lily S. Tyler, and consisted of the first movement of Beethoven’s Sonata “Pethetique,” “Papillon” by Grieg, a waltz by Chopin and Gavotte. The numbers were played with great expression, admirably illustrating the various points touched upon in the paper.

Mr. Albert Morehead, who never fails to please his audience, sang three songs, by Neidlinger [William Harold Neidlinger, 1863-1924]; also, “The Sailor’s Grave,” by Sullivan. His singing was noted for its smoothness and expression, and he was heartily encored.

Mrs. Riminoschi sang two very pretty songs, “The Maid of Cadiz” was especially enjoyed and elicited warm applause.

-------------------

431

General Hickenlooper Banquet

Cincinnati Ohio Commercial Tribune, Dec. 11, 1896

The Tables and Menu

The tables were decorated with a profusion of ferns and red and white roses. At frequent intervals were handsome baskets of luscious fruits, and these with a profusion of glass and silver, served to enhance the general effect.

In the east end of the dining hall was the Bellstedt-Italienberg orchestra, which discoursed fine music all through the dinner. It chose popular and patriotic airs, and enthused the auditors. By way of variety, the Loyal Legion Quartet rendered a number of selections during the evening, and it was given a royal reception. The quartet is composed of Albert H. Morehead, first tenor; Samuel Ash, second tenor; H. L. Kemper, Jr., first bass, and L. C. Hall, second bass. It was under the direction of Colonel Max Mosler.

Mine Host Dunkles had made special preparations for the entertainment of his distinguished guests, and the following menu was submitted:

Blue Points.

        Salted Almonds.                                        Celery.

                        Green Turtle, Clear.

                                Amontillado.

                Filet of Sole, Remoulade.

Cucumbers.                                        Serpentine Potatoes.

Filet de Boeuf, Pique, Aux Cepes, St. Julien.

Asparagus Tips.

        Croquettes of Chicken, Aux Petits Pois.

Champagne Punch.                                        Cigarettes.

Sugar Wafers.

        Broiled Quail on Toast, au Cresson.

Chicory Salad.                                                Veuve Cresson.

Frozen Nesselrode Pudding.

Assorted Cakes.

        Cheese.                Fruit.                Crackers.

                Coffee.                        Cigars.

--------------------------

432

Musical Courier, July 24, 1897

CINCINNATI

[From our Regular Staff correspondent]

The general dullness in the piano trade of this c ity was continued during the past week, although there was a slight breeze noted, in some directions in the dead calm of this time of the year.

There were no visitors at Ernest Urchs & Co.’s with the exception of Mr. C. A. Hyde, of the Norris & Hyde Company, Boston, and Mr. Wm. F. Blumenschein, of Dayton, who as of old commands the musical energy and destiny of Ohio’s beautiful Gem City.

Mr. Albert H. Morehead is getting ready to spend his vacation with his relatives and friends at Paris, Ky., where he will enjoy himself hunting and fishing, and thence he will take in Chattanooga and the Nashville Exposition. Mr. Morehead is not only a first-class salesman but a musician and singer of no mean order of merit.

Mr. Frank B. Long, head salesman, is on a business visit to Dayton, Ohio.

Mr. John Bowers is at home in Louisville, Ky., where he is taking care of a very sick child.

Mr. Urchs says that, considering the hot weather, he is perfectly well satisfied with the results of the piano trade.

------------------------

433

Cincinnati Commercial, Nov 4 1896

MEDICAL RECOLLECTIONS

The Loyal Legion Members Listen to Those of Dr. J. C. Culberson

The regular monthly meeting and dinner of the Loyal Legion was held at the Grand Hotel last night. About fifty were present at the banquet. General A. Hickenlooper presided and a very interesting paper was read by Dr. J.. C. Culberson, on the subject, “A Bit of History of the Medical Department During the Rebellion.” The paper abounded in facts and was declared one of the best the members have listened to for some time. The new quartet of the Loyal Legion was present, and under the direction of Lieutenant Max Moseler rendered some good music. The members of the quartet are: Messrs. A. H. Morehead, Paul Ash, A. L. Kemper, Jr., and L. C. Hale. Prof Andrew J. Boex presided at the piano.

------------------------

434

Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, June 20, 1899

Before a large audience Messrs. H. G. Andre and Adolph Hahn, assisted by Miss Clara Michalowsky, pianist, and Mr. A. H. Morehead, tenor, gave a highly enjoyable concert at Levassor Hall last Wednesday evening. The following program was rendered in the most creditable and artistic manner:

Suite, D major (for hands)                                Bach

                H.G. Andre and Miss Michalowsky

Vocal—“A Day Dream”                                Strelezki

                Mr. Morehead—violin obligato, Mr. Hahn

Nocturne, A flat                                        Chopin

“Song Without Words” (Hunting Song)                Mendelssohn

Berceuse                                                Iijinski

Impromptu, E flat                                        Schubert

                Mr. Andre

Vocal—

        (a) “Robin”                                        Neidlinger

        (b) “Memories, Night, Morning” (Three thoughts)

                                                        Neidlinger

                Mr. Morehead

Violin, Paraphrase “Parsifal”                                `Wagner-Wilhelmj

                Mr. A. Hahn

Polonaise from String Trio (four hands)                Beethoven

                Mr. H. G. Andre and Miss Michalowky

--------------------------

435

Richmond, IN, March 29, 1895

SPRING SERIES CONCERTS

The Initial Concert Given at K. of P. Temple Last Night

A fair sized audience assembled in the large auditorium of the K. of P. temple last evening, to listen to the first concert of the “spring series,” which are given under the auspices of the local lodge of the Knights of Pythia. The opening number of the program was the singing of “The Mariners” by a trio, composed of Miss Cora Abernathy and Messrs. Vernon Smith and Calvin Lankert. Lance’s orchestra followed with an old but always beautiful overture “Poet and Peasant.”

It was well rendered.

Miss Abernathy sang Meyer’s “Canzonetta,” in a most pleasing manner and was heartily applauded.

Mr. Hugh McGibeny becomes a more decided favorite with Richmond audiences at every appearance, and last night he rendered the violin solo, “Souvenir de Haydn,” a most difficult production and one that requires the utmost skill of the performer. The audience was so persistent in its applause that Mr. McGibeney was compelled to respond with another selection equally as pleasing as its predecessor.

The Trilby craze, which has brought forth “Sweet Alice Ben Bolt,” the old, old love song into great popularity after many years, was heard in this city in public for the first time since its revival, last evening. Mr. Will Jay sang it splendidly and he received an encore.

The “Legend of the Bell,” one of the prettiest selections from the beautiful opera, “The Chimes of Normandy<” was sung by Miss Abernathy and the chorus of twenty voices.

“Your Eyes are Pictures on My Heart,” was the tenor solo rendered by Mr. Vernon Smith. He responded with another selection, as he received a hearty and well earned applause.

Miss Florence Wallace recited “The New Lochinvar,” and it was one of the features of the program. She responded to an encore with “The Railroad Crossing.”

Mr. Albert Morehead sang three short selections: “The Robin,” “Had I My Choice,” and “Boat Song,” and as customary with Mr. Morehead, his singing was superb. He also responded to an encore. The program ended with the “Servants” chorus from the “Chimes of Normandy,” Miss Abernathy being the soloist and Lance’s orchestra accompan[y]ing.

The concert was good from start to finish, and is deserving of good audiences tonight and tomorrow night.

------------------

200

Cincinnati Enquirer, Jan 9, 1898

Mr. Albert H. Morehead, tenor, has sung in several performances of “The Messiah” during the present season. He is a thorough musician, well rounded and competent not only as a singer, but as a leader. At a recent performance of the “Messiah” in Louisville, Ky., Mr. Morehead sang with emphatic success. A writer thus passed upon him: “All the soloists were Louisville singers except the tenor, Mr. Albert H. Morehead, whom the club brought to Louisville for the occasion. He sang his numbers with taste and feeling; his voice is of pure, pleasing quality and handled well the runs and arpegios of the Handel solos.”

-----------------------

436        

Cincinnati Enquirer, June 2, 1897

STAMINA GLEE CLUB

The Executive Board of the Stamina Glee Club met at the office of the Secretary, Mr. William J. Klein, in the Mitchell Building, last Friday afternoon. After transacting routine business the matter of engaging a director for the club came up. In all there were about eight applicants for that position. Mr. A. H. Morehead, the tenor of Christ Church, was unanimously elected. The Stamina Glee Club now numbers a membership of about 40, whose voices are well trained, and under the new director will accomplish better work than ever. The first rehearsal will be held next Tuesday evening at the Y. M. C. A., and the regular rehearsal next Wednesday evening. The programme for the summer work will be ready in a few days. The social features attached will no doubt be very pleasing to all the members. Deveral outings and excursions are contemplated.

-------------------------

437

Brookfield Democrat, July 2, 1899

Albert H. Morehead, one of Cincinnati’s best tenor singers, is spending a few days in Brookville. Mr. Morehead is associated with the John Church Company and has shipped a few pianos here and placed them on exhibition at Miss West’s boarding house. These pianos are of the best makes and all lovers of music are invited to call and examine them, especially those who contemplate buying. The John Church Company is the oldest, and one of the most reliable piano firms in the west, and give a warranty unlimited with every instrument. Mr. Morehead is a very pleasant and entertaining gentleman and will take pleasure in showing you the pianos if you will call and see him. He will remain here two or three weeks and it is to be hoped that our citizens will have an opportunity to hear him sing in one of our churches while here.

------------------------

438

Cincinnati, Enquirer, April 24, 1897

Mr. Albert H. Morehead, tenor, has returned from his trip to Chattanooga, and Birmingham, where he sang with flattering success. In the latter city he sang the solos of Graun’s “Passion” and Gounod’s “Redemption.” A writer speaks of his work:

“Mr. Albert Morehead, the tenor, sang his solos with finish and grace. His voice is thoroughly cultivated.”

Another: “Mr. Morehead sang the tenor solos with accuracy and in a clear and accurate style. He is evidently a thoroughly cultivated musician.”

--------------------------

439

Cincinnati Gazette, Dec 31, 1894

A musical event of importance will be the Christmas performance of Handel’s “Messiah,” by the Philharmonic Society. This society has been practicing diligently for this event for a great many weeks. The chorus is in splendid form, being made up as follows: Sopranos, 35; alti, 28; tenori, 19; bassi, 22; total, 104. The concert will be given in Grace M. E. Church on Friday evening, Dec,., 21. Mr. Emil Zweisler, the noted concert organist, will play the accompaniment. Mrs. Corinne Moore-Lawson has been secured as soprano soloist, Miss Susie E. Rike, now connected with the musical department of Otterbein University, will sing the alto solos. Mr. Albert H. Morehead, a very pleasing and accomplished tenor, will also be heard, and Mr. Malsh, of Cincinnati, will be the bass soloist. The Philharmonic concerts this year are given to associate members only, and the list is almost full.

----------------------

440

Cincinnati Enquirer, June 20, 1897

INTERESTING

Was the Second Andre-Hahn Concert Last Night

The second Andre-Hahn concert last night in Levassor Hall was altogether an event of interesting musical features. Mr. Andre’s solos were the Chopin Nocturne in A-flat, the “Hunting Song” from Mendelssohn’s “Songs Without Words,” a berceuse by Iljinski, and Schubert’s Impromptu E-flat. Mr. Andre has a poetic side, and these selections showed it to decided advantage. There was finesse of detail and strength of character in all his work. Mr. Adolf Hahn played in masterly style and with scholarly design Wilhelmj’s paraphrase on “Parsifal.” With classic texture and good ensemble was presented the sonatina for violin and piano by Dvorak by Messrs. Hahn and Andre. The opening number was a Bach suite in D major for two pianos, played with taste and fine characterization, by Mr. H. G. Andre and Miss Michalowsky. Mr. A. H. Morehead, tenor, sang “A Day Dream,” by Strelezki, and two numbers by Neidlinger, with musical insight and a voice flexible and melodious.

-------------------------

441

Cincinnati Tribune, July 25, 1897

Last Friday night’s concert at the Zoo was certainly one of the most enjoyable of the series, and but for the imminent threat of rain the attendance would have broken all records. The program selected by Mr. Weber was of the most fetching description, and more than one of the numbers was positively redemanded. Among the most pleasing features was the singing of the now famous Cincinnati Quartet. Their encores were numerous and thoroughly well deserved. It would be wise of the management to secure them for another hearing, and at a not very distant date.

--------------------

442

Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, December 19, 1896

NEWS FASHIONABLE AND PHILANTHROPIC

Mrs. Morehead added another to the list of successes that have been placed to her credit since she became President of the Woman’s Club, when she presented John Uri Lloyd, author of “Etidorhpa,” last evening at the Woman’s Club tea. Prof. Lloyd read from the manuscripts of two unpublished stories, and, as if this in itself were not pleasure enough for one evening, Mrs. Morehead prevailed upon John James Platt, ex-United States Consul to Dublin and Cork, to read some of the exquisite little poems which have made his charming wife famous on both sides of the sea.

It was an evening of rare literary merit, and the clubrooms were crowded kto the doors with an audience which thoroughly enjoyed it. The programme opened with a ballad delightfully sung by Mr. A. H. Morehead.

In introducing Prof. Lloyd, Mrs. Morehead made one of those happy little speeches which will be remembered as characteristic of her long after she has ceased to reign as President of the club.

Prof. Lloyd, in reading the story which he has called “The Right Side of the Car,” proved that his gifts lie not alone in the realm of science. He has exemplified the versatility of his genius in the grace and beauty of this lighter work. It is the story of a man of years and experience and a young and invalid girl, who is “treading rapidly the path that leads to silence,” drawing a beautiful and effective contrast. There were some vivid glimpses of Western scenery, for the scene of the story is laid on board a Northern Pacific train, and the marvelous description of the first glimpse of Mt. Tacoma in the distance could not fail to move the heart of one who had looked upon a like scene.

After the pathetic ending of Prof. Lloyd’s story, Mr. Platt read a “little group of verses from over the sea,” written by his gifted wife. They were exquisite little bits of Irish scenes and filled with quaint humor.

Afterward Prof. Lloyd read some fragments from an unfinished story, which deals with Kentucky life and “nigger signs,” and was rather remindful of Thomas Nelson Page in style.

After the program Prof. and Mrs. Lloyd and Mr. and Mrs. Platt were lionized for the remainder of the evening.

The tea table was gorgeous in holly and poinsettia blooms, and Mrs. Seely and Mrs. M. M. White poured. A number of distinguished guests were present, making in all the largest company ever gathered in the clubrooms on a like occasion.